Accused sex predator Kevin Spacey is under scrutiny by London police in connection with a second accusation of “sexual assaults” on a man in 2005, Scotland Yard said Wednesday.
The new criminal investigation brings the total to at least three criminal inquiries pending against Oscar-winner Spacey, including one other in London and a third in Nantucket, Mass.
As per usual, the Metropolitan Police did not identify either the accuser or the accused in its statement, obtained by USA TODAY.
The statement referred to an already ongoing investigation of Spacey, 58, involving an alleged assault on a man that took place in 2008 in the same neighborhood of London. The statement said another investigation has been opened in connection with a complaint filed last week against the same suspect.
“It is alleged a man assaulted another man (Victim 1) in 2008 in Lambeth. On Friday, 17 November, a further allegation was made about the same man (suspected in the 2008 case),” the statement said. “The allegations are of sexual assaults against a man (Victim 2) in 2005 in Lambeth. Officers from the Child Abuse and Sexual Offenses Command are investigating.”
Lambeth is the central London borough where the Old Vic theater is located and where Spacey lived when he was the artistic director there from 2004 to 2015.
The new complaint was filed a day after the Old Vic announced, after an internal investigation of Spacey, that 20 people had come forward anonymously to accuse him of sexual misconduct incidents between 1995 and 2013.
None of the alleged incidents took place when accusers were minors, according to the theater’s report on the investigation. The report also said that “no legal claims, formal grievances, formal disputes, settlement agreements or payments made or authorized were made at all in relation to Kevin Spacey during his tenure.”
“On behalf of The Old Vic Board of Trustees, to all those people who felt unable to speak up at the time, The Old Vic truly apologizes,” chairman Nick Clarry said in a statement. “Inappropriate behavior by anyone working at The Old Vic is completely unacceptable.”
Who has accused Kevin Spacey?: Kevin Spacey scandal: A complete list of the 15 accusers
The new investigation, assuming it involves a new accuser, would bring the total of individual accusers, named and anonymous, against Spacey to 16.
The 2008 case in London involves an allegation by an anonymous man, then 23, who said Spacey sexually assaulted after he passed out at Spacey’s London home where he had gone seeking advice on his career. He left after Spacey warned him to keep quiet about it.
In the Nantucket case, the son of a former Boston TV news anchor, Heather Unruh, accused Spacey of groping his genitals in a Nantucket bar in July 2016 when he was then 19. Unruh said her son filed a report on the allegation with police and a criminal investigation was opened, though neither police nor local prosecutors could confirm or deny that due to state law.
How to treat ‘sex addiction’: Weinstein, Spacey scandals prompt questions about treatment for sex addiction, criminal behavior
This case, the most recent accusation against Spacey, would fall within the statute of limitations for Massachusetts and thus could potentially lead to criminal charges against Spacey.
The accusations against Spacey range from sexual groping to attempted rape of a teen in alleged encounters dating back decades (one to 1981). Thus, most of the accusations in the U.S. are too old to pursue criminal charges. But there is no statute of limitations on sex crimes in the United Kingdom.
After actor Anthony Rapp last month accused Spacey of making sexual advances on him in 1986 when he was 14, Spacey has said little in response to the more than dozen other accusers who have come forward.
He denied remembering the alleged encounter with Rapp but apologized, and since then has checked into The Meadows, a renowned rehabilitation clinic in Wickenburg, Ariz., known for treating sexual addiction.
SOURCE: USA TODAY